A Brief Biography of Siamak Yassemi
A Brief Biography of Siamak Yassemi
Siamak Yassemi was born in Khoramshahr, Iran, in 1959. In 1977 he received his Diploma degree from Alborz high school in Tehran. The same year, he entered the National University of Iran (now Shahid Beheshti University), as an undergraduate student of Mathematics. He obtained his Bachelor's degree in 1985. The unusual period for Yassemi's undergraduate studies was due to the revolution in the country (1979) and the subsequent Cultural Revolution (1980).
In 1987 Yassemi received his Master's degree in Mathematics from Shahid Bahonar
University of Kerman with a thesis project on Geometry and Topology. In 1988 he was accepted to a Ph.D. program in Mathematics at Tarbiat Moallem University in Tehran, where the program was just initiated for the first time. However, Yassemi
decided to move to Denmark in 1991, where he continued his education as a Ph.D. student in Mathematics at Kobenhavns Universitet. He worked on hyper homological algebra under the supervision of Professor Hans-Bjorn Foxby and received his
Ph.D. in 1994 . The same year, he returned to Iran and was employed as an assistant professor at the University of Tehran. In the meantime, he cooperated with the Institute of Fundamental Sciences (IPM) as a researcher. Since then, Yassemi has been actively involved with the training students and transferring his experiences to succeeding generations. He has been invited speaker of several conferences in different countries.
Below is a list of some scientific cooperations and achievements, positions held and honors of Siamak Yassemi:
Scientific cooperations and achievements:
- Supervision of 20 Ph.D. theses.
- Publication of more than 120 papers in high quality journals and two joint university textbooks.
- Conducting 5 research projects supported by the Institut des Hautes Etudes Scientifiques (IHES), France.
- Conducting 5 research projects supported by the Max-Planck Institute, Bonn, Germany.
- Organization of the First International Conference on Commutative Algebra jointly with Hossein Zakeri, Tarbiat Modarres University, Tehran, 1995.
- Organization of the International Conference on Homological Methods in Commutative Algebra, IPM, Tehran, 2002.
- Organization of CIMPA-UNESCO-IPM School on Representation Theory of Algebras, IPM, 2008.
- Organization of CIMPA-UNESCO-IPM School on Commutative Algebra and Applications to Combinatorics and Algebraic Geometry, Istanbul,Turkey, 2010.
- Receiving a research grant from The World Academy of Science (TWAS) for cooperation with the Institute of Mathematics of Hanoi Vietnam, 2003-2005.
- Receiving a research grant from Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienset (DAAD) for collaboration with Juergen Herzog, Universitat Duisburg-Essen, 2004.
- Receiving a research grant from the World Academy of Science (TWAS) for cooperation with Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, India, 2005-2007.
- Coordination of an agreement with the Cultural Department of the French Embassy for the exchange of Master students between Iran and France, 2011.
- Coordination of a contract with the University of Paris 6 to hold short courses at the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science, University of Tehran, by French professors (the project has been extended due to its success), 2017.
- 1995-2003. Associated member, the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste-Italy.
- 2000. Associate Professor of Mathematics, University of Tehran.
- 2001-2003. Vice-Chairman for graduate studies, Faculty of Science, University of Tehran.
- 2001-2003. Vice-Director, School of Mathematics, Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences (IPM).
- 2003-2006. Vice-Chairman for research and graduate studies, College of Science, University of Tehran.
- 2005. Full Professor of Mathematics, University of Tehran.
- 2007-2009. Dean of the School of Mathematics, Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences (IPM).
- 2009-Present. Member of the editorial board of the Bulletin of the Iranian Mathematical Society.
- 2015-Present. Dean of the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science, University of Tehran.
- 2008. Recipient of the Khwarizmi International Award.
- 2008. Recipient of COMSTECH International Award. This award is given to outstanding researchers who are citizens of, and working in OIC (Organization of Islamic Cooperation) member states.
- 2018. Member of the World Academy of Science (TWAS), as the first Iranian mathematician.
- 2019. Recipient of the Chevalier medal Ordre des palmes academique from France.